2.12.2014

Back ON Base



We have a slight break in the action here finally but sadly it also means that my internship is half over.  Wow it went so fast and I can hardly believe it has been that long that I have hugged my family!  Yes saying that makes it bittersweet and a little homesick simply because I wish we could all be here together experiencing and learning together.  I am so blessed to have an awesome family who is so close and has taught me the value of hard work and working together.  It has been a value I am so thankful for especially now that I rely on it everyday!  I am blessed to have a second family here in Guatemala, or so I call family.  It is such a mix of people old young and yes Guatemalan and American.  I never expected to bond this fast with everyone and form the tight bond right away.  It definitely helps a lot with the homesickness from setting in.  

This past week I learned so much by truly bonding with a team and experiencing God thru their eyes; a truly life changing enriching experience.  Sometimes it has the danger of becoming routine but experiencing it a new every team is awesome.  Watching a team change and bond over their experiences is one thing I loved watching this week.  From singing louder to sharing deeper and finally praying over each other before returning home is a beautiful thing.  I am without words to describe the depth of the feelings.  Words are no match for God’s work in others.  I am just learning to trust HIM and hang on for one amazing ride!  

It has been nice to just simply be home all day today and spend quality time hugging and kissing the kiddos.  I missed it and did begin to crave routine when life was crazy last week.  I enjoyed the crazy but a nice relaxing week with just the kids is so looked forward to.  I am going to try some different activities to tell stories and test out how the kids respond.  Yesterday I was able to sit in with their Psychiatrist (I think that is how she described herself).  It was really good to watch her work with the kids and refreshing when they acted up with her just like they will with me.  I am not alone in their attitude and not listening.  I enjoy her and she has explained things to work on with the kids and tomorrow I am going to incorporate a few things together. We are going to go “fishing”, similar to a kids carnival except instead of a prize they will be doing jumping jacks, kicking a ball, clapping their hands, etc.  I am pretty sure they will love it!  I am excited to try it with them and see how it goes!  I decided it will be good for them and good for me for a change in coloring, play dough, and puzzles along with the same other activities we have been working on.

Today is a way of getting things ready and accomplished for the next week team.  It is our halfway break but yet doesn’t really feel like a break.  I love having teams here but it throws off the kids and the routine they are used to.  I am blessed by their willingness to help out and love the kids to give us a breather and refuel.  Please continue to pray for health for me.  I am fighting a bad head cold that wants to come and I do not simply have time or energy to waste on getting sick!  Thank you for all the prayers and encouraging emails!  They mean a lot to me!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel, this is Maddie from the South Olive/Mosaic Builders team!! I was SO sad last night because I missed you and Anya so much!! Tell the kids I miss them (especially Dulce)! It was great spending a week with you and Anya! Miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete